Rate: compares 2 quantities measured in DIFFERENT units.
Ratio: compares 2 quantities measured in the SAME unit.
What is the difference between ratio and rate?
RATE is comparing 2 quantities measured in DIFFERENT units while a RATIO compares 2 quantities in the SAME unit.
4. Determine the unit rate in each situation.
a) An orca swims 110 km in 2 h.
b) A Canada goose flies 800 km in 12.5 h.
c) Cathy plants 45 daffodils in 30 min.
12. The rate at which glaciers melt is increasing globally. The Saskatchewan Glacier near Banff has receded 1.5 km in the last 75 years. The Peyto Glacier shown below receded 1320 m from 1923 to 1993. Which glacier had the greater annual rate of melting?
Saskatchewan Glacier has the greater annual rate of melting.
These are the Grade 8 ingredients for Spaghetti Sauce. This recipe serves 4 people.
1) What would the recipe look like if it had to serve 10 people? Show your calculations.
- ground beef 1.25 lb
- medium onion, diced 2.5
- stalk of celery 2.5
- clove garlic, minced 2.5
- canned tomatoes, chopped 35 oz
- can tomato paste 1.25
- parsley 2.5 tsp
- basil 3.75 tsp
- oregano 2.5
- sugar 2.5
- Worcestershire sauce 1.25
- seasoning salt 1.25
- bay leaf 2.5
2) What would the recipe look like if you had to only serve 1 person? Show your calculations.
- ground beef 0.125 lb
- medium onion, diced 0.25
- stalk of celery 0.25
- clove garlic, minced 0.25
- canned tomatoes, chopped 3.5 oz
- can tomato paste 0.125
- parsley 0.25 tsp
- basil 0.375 tsp
- oregano 0.25 tsp
- sugar 0.25 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce 0.125 tsp
- seasoning salt 0.125 tsp
- bay leaf 0.25