Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Harvey Pays it Forward

Part 1
What is "Pay it Forward"?
Pay it Forward is an ingenious idea, created by the author of the book, Catherine Ryan Hyde. Her book is now well known, even having its own movie and foundation (http://www.payitforwardmovement.org/ and http://www.payitforwardfoundation.org/) But the same idea is also described by Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Benjamin Webb, Dated at April 22, 1784.

I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money.
What does this mean? It means that we should all be doing this "Pay It Forward", but we're not. So now its our job to spread the word.

Part 2

What was your Pay It Forward act of kindness?
We did 2 things. The first thing that we did is we donated some koats to the "Koats For Kids". Second, we donated more things to the Salvation Army. Third, we gave the teachers some candy canes to lift their spirits up.
look at me, I'm in the same pose. :)

Why did you choose this activity?
I couldn't donate a coat because all I had were sweaters. We chose Salvation Army because I wanted to get rid of other unnecessary things that I own. I wanted to donate them because instead of ending up in the trash, somebody else could use it. Cause you know what they say: "Another man's trash is another man's treasure" right?

Who did you help?
In my opinion no one really, because I feel that I didn't really accomplish anything.

What did you do?
I gathered all the old clothes I could find and gave them to salvation army.

When did you do you act of kindness?
The day before this is due. The reason that is because we couldn't figure out something really big and creative so we opted for a simple one in the end.

Part 3

How did your act of kindness go?
I didn't feel that "feeling". You know, like that special feeling that you feel only after you know you've done something good.


What Happened?
Well, we gave them what we could give them, and took pictures while it happened. I can't really say anymore.

How did you feel?
I didn't really feel that special feeling, as I've described earlier

How did the person or people react?
I don't really know, but I don't think they were expecting kids to be donating anything!

Did you ask the person or people to "Pay It Forward"?
No.

How did they react to your request?
They were nice about it, and accepted the donations we gave them.

If you did not ask the person to "Pay It Forward" how come?
I didn't really want to. And besides, actions speak louder than words don't they? So I think my actions are enough that they will pay it forward

Part 4

Why is the idea of "Pay it Forward" important?
Its important because I think this is what the world needs to change into a better place. It brings people together through random acts of kindness connects them, like a giant family tree.

Has your act of kindness made a difference?
I don't really think so. It felt like it was just something we needed to do, not an actual pay it forward thing where your act of kindness was a kodak moment, it only happens once. This wasn't.

No comments:

Statcounter

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP