Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sierra's 2 Minutes to Make a Difference Reflection







Comments and Changes

Some of the comments were helpful, but it seemed as if some of the people who commented just repeated what the comments under them had said. BUT, the way that they could have improved commenting would be by simply scrolling down a bit and to see if someone else already pointed out the disadvantage of the movie, then they wouldn't need to keep on repeating what others said (If that even made sense). Although, I would like to thank them for actually having the time to watch our video several times and comment on the things that they would suggest to help make our video better.

Almost everyone informed us that our blinking text wasn't really meaningful, and it somehow hurt their eyes, so we did change the text. No one commented on the speed of the slides, but we decided that we should make some slides with more words longer than the ones with shorter words. We improved with our grammar and simple spelling mistakes. I think that I saw a comment that said we didn't have much proof of us actually making a difference, so, in the final cut we actually added up some images proving that we did something.

Interviewing an Expert

Our expert of this topic was Stephanie Cate. She works as a managing director at the Batonga Foundation. You may wonder, how did you even come across her? Out of everyone? Well, my fellow group members and I went onto Google, and I don't really remember what exactly we typed in, but it came across the lines as "Girls without education in Africa". When we clicked enter, many entries popped up, and we reviewed all of the sites, and we emails about 10 different people, sadly, only Stephanie replied. We arranged an interview with her shortly afterward the email was sent.

Stephanie Cate knew a lot about uneducated girls in Africa. But, the top 3 things that I actually remember her saying is that:
  • Giving girls education will be the first step to end poverty
  • It costs very cheap to send a girl to school
  • Girls don't get education because of poverty
It is very hard to just say one thing that we have learned from Stephanie. We, well, I personally, learned a lot from her. I was very new to this topic, knowing almost nothing, and when we interviewed Stephanie, she made things so much clear, and understanding in this topic. I learned that girls usually don't attend school because of menstruation, or, because their family cannot afford it.

Success

I think that the majority of the project all we had was success. Not to sound all cocky or anything. I enjoyed the interview part the most though
What was your greatest success in the 2 minutes project. What skills will you take away with you and use in the future?

Frustrations and Strategies

The only frustrations that happened in the movie making process would have to be the editing. I have to admit, that it was pretty hard putting everything together, the music, the script, pictures, the interview, etc. The interview was kind of complicated also, because, when the group got to my house, Elijah brought an extra phone from her house, and then we find out that it doesn't have the speaker feature, so we couldn't record it. Then, all of us had to walk to Elijah's house and just use her phone, and we were 20 minutes late for our interview.... I hope Stephanie didn't mind. But, other than that, we had no other major frustrations. The strategy that we used was just to take our time and have patience.

Why is the 2 Minutes project important to Grade 8 Students?

I think that 2 Minutes project is important to us 8th graders, because we're still young, and we can have all the rest of our lifetime to change different peoples lives. I also think that it is important to teach younger kids, because then it would have a different impact on them. Different ages, different views of the unfortunate people in the world. Right?

Making A Difference In The Future

I believe that if you make a difference in someones life, it would be like a water rippling effect. It is where one thing will lead to another, which will lead to another, and so on, carrying throughout the world. I also believe that small things will lead to greater things, just like a smile. It all happened to us before, just smiling at a sad person we can suddenly make their frown get replaced by a grin. Just by smiling at a stranger made them happy. And for doing so, you caused them to go about doing things that they wouldn't have done if you didn't smile.

Imagine there's a teenager walking by you at your school. She's one of the kids that others don't take the time to meet with because her personality is frightening. She looks really sad. You decide to comfort her. You start a friendly conversation and realize she's not what other kids think she is. You introduce her to your friends and they get along nicely. Soon many people are friends with her and she's looked upon as a happy camper.

But let's say you didn't. Instead you walked past her and ignored her. The next day she still is sad. And the next day as well. Let's say a week has passed and she's become depressed. She takes her sadness out by hurting people verbally. Her grades drop and she gets suspended from school. At the end of the year she is held back for failing her grade. (Yes, I know this is exaggerated but it is only to put my point across.)

Have you ever giving a homeless man food before? I have. When I did he smiled at me and took the bread happily. As I left I wondered what would've happened if he didn't get the bread. Maybe he would've went off to find a trash can. Maybe on his way to the trash he had to cross a street, and maybe he would've gotten hit by a car. So, just doing a good deed, it could actually make someones life better.

I'm not saying that I will go out into the world and start building schools, hospitals, houses for the poor, or anything close to that, but, I will attempt to make small differences that will equal up to a big difference in some peoples lives. By me saying that I made small differences would be saying that I replaced my old light bulbs and put new energy saving light bulbs to produce less pollution. Or that I brought bags along with you to grocery shopping. Also, that I volunteer at Meals on Wheels once a week to help deliver food to elders that are not able to make their own.

No comments:

Statcounter

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Calculator





powered by math calculator at calculator.net

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP